Read Matthew 15:21-28 and Mark 7:24-30
Here we see Jesus approached by a pagan woman (not surprising since He had ventured into the cities of Tyre and Sidon).
- This woman approaches Jesus and is desperate. What do you think (speculation) she believes about Jesus prior to this encounter?
- What is your take on her? What is she like?
- Who does she find Jesus to be?
- Jesus seems delighted by her and tells her that she has great faith. How has she demonstrated this faith?
- What do you glean about Jesus from this interaction?
About Tyre & Sidon
Jesus makes a unique excursion into the pagan and semi-pagan districts of Tyre and Sidon. Located North of Galilee. Although he was called to reach out to “the lost sheep of Israel” the public attention in Galilee was intense. Even here, His presence becomes public. And this woman, obviously, understand some of the Jewish teaching (excerpt from the NIV Study Bible).