Read John 19:28-42
How could God die? A question asked by many, yet we make the answer harder than it is. Jesus didn’t die by crucifixion. He died because He gave up His spirit once His mission was completely fulfilled. Jesus knew that the scriptures in the Old Testament had to be fulfilled before He died, so–in his last moments–he asks for a drink: “After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, ‘I thirst!’” v.28. Once He drinks, He says, “It is finished!” Jesus did not stop short and die before getting hung on the cross or even before the last simple requirement of drinking sour wine. He endured to the end. He fully fulfilled every word, every prophecy. I don’t have that kind of endurance, but–thank the Lord–He does!
- How can this motivate you to endure through hard situations right now?
- How do you picture this whole scene of chapter 19?
- What does it mean to you that God died?
In Luke 22, we see Jesus praying and asking the Father if there is any other way for salvation to be accomplished. He knew that death in this fashion would be excruciating and costly. Costly for God the Father and the Spirit as well.
- In your serving, loving, and following Jesus, what is costly for you right now?
- Write out that one sentence summary!